This fabulous recipe is another one where you can have your cake and eat it too! without feeling guilty. This cake is high in phytonutrients has naturally occurring nitrates, is high in Vit C, Vit B3, Vit B6, folate, manganese, potassium
- 3/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 medium (about 3/4 cup) peeled raw beetroot finely grated
- 2 cups almond meal
- 3 eggs beaten
- 3 tablespoons coconut palm sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup organic 80% or higher dark chocolate - cocoa nibs
- 1/4 cup coconut cream
- Preheat oven to 180°C - fan forced
- Line a cake tin with greaseproof paper
- Peel and quarter the raw beetroot and either grate or put in food processor and pulse until finely chopped - it will be wet.
- In a saucepan add coconut oil, maple syrup, cocoa and beetroot - juice and all and stir on very low heat until all combined and it resembles a smooth chocolate sauce.
- In a large bowl mix together the almond meal. coconut palm sugar and baking powder until combined. Then add the beaten eggs and the chocolate/beetroot mix and stir until completely combined.
- Once combined pour the mix into the lined cake tin and put in the oven for 30 - 40 mins until cooked through.
- Melt chocolate in saucepan on very low heat, take off the heat and gradually pour in the coconut cream and beat until combined.
- Leave it to cool for a few minutes and then continue to beat until it is smooth and glossy
- Once cake is cool - add icing